Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Daddy has a new toy

Oh man.

So a couple of weeks ago my 1997 Acura 2.2 CL died. Again. Late last year the radiator blew, and it appears that it actually cracked a head gasket as well. So, all done. I decided it was time to move on.

And move on I have. After lots, and LOTS of research, I decided on an Audi. I picked up a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Sport package, winter package, and a whole lot more. It is, quite simply, the most solid and most fun car I've ever driven. It sticks to the road like glue. I have stomped on the gas and flipped a 180, and felt the traction control kick in and keep it in line, with minimal tire squeal. I gingerly drove it up a wet Hwy 9 (a nice windy road down my way) at a tender 60 to 80 mph and never heard the tires complain once. I have hit 90 degree turns at a solid 40 mph and the car begs for more. I simply can't wait to get a bit more used to the feel of it and really see what it can do!

Pictures will come soon. I'm heading up the coast a little this weekend just for giggles, and will take some pictures then.

In the meantime, here's a list of the sites I used for all my research.

www.craigslist.org for comparative pricing (although I did buy from a dealership)
www.kbb.com for comparative pricing
www.edmunds.com for comparative pricing and owner opinions
www.epinions.com for owner opinions
www.fueleconomy.gov for mileage estimates, which seem to vary dramatically depending on where you look on their site. Here's what I looked at.
www.carfax.com to make sure it wasn't a wreck
www.consumerreports.com to compare current and older models, assess reliability, etc.

I think that's all of them. Long live the internet.

No comments: